Friday, October 14, 2011

Happy Birthday Baby!

   "I hear it's your birthday. It's my birthday too."(Actually it's not-mine was 6 days ago but this is what song I always play for Mary on her birthday). She never lets me forget that I am 6 days older than her and I always say that I can't help it if I like a younger woman!
    I kow this blog is supposed to be about running after I turned 60 and in a way it is. It is dedicated to the one person who more than anyone else made this possible. I'm not at all sure that I would have anything to write about if she hadn't been standing beside me all those years ago when I decided to change my lifestyle and become a "runner". I still remember all those early races when she was always waiting for me at the finish line urging me on-Yelling"kick Tony Kick" just like we were 18 yrs. old and in high school.
     I remember all those training runs where she would measure my mileage for me and hand me water or when she would meet me at certain spots with fresh cold water bottles. It takes a special person to drive all over Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston(in an ice storm), and Austin just to meet me at certain parts of a race and hand me a bottle of flat coke. I can't even begin to tell you of all she has put up with and the sacrifices she has made for me and my running.
     So if you get a chance today, tell Mary Margaret Collins happy birthday!!! She is my greatest supporter/fan/coach and she is more beautiful now than the 1st day I sat by her in freshman history class(You can tell her I said that too)!

No comments:

Post a Comment