Sunday, October 9, 2011

Yesterday When I was Young!

    As a runner I've always heard the 1st thing to go was your speed. Since I never had much of that I beg to differ. I think it has been my ability to handle the hills in a race, Actually the hills today I 'm not sure any one handled. them real well. Anyone that doesn't think we have rolling hills in East Texas needs to run this course.That said, I have to admit I really like this race, could be I'm a glutton for punishment.
       Jessica and I got to the race about 7 this morning, hit the porta-potties, picked up our race packets, and met up with friends. The 1st thing I noticed was that I had forgotten my flat coke. No problem I would just take an extra packet of E-gel.After another trip back to the car(get my garmin) and a last potty stop it was time to line up for the start. Jessica and I told each other good luck then we went to the start.
    Race time-Everything started out like I wanted it to-1st 2 mi. up and down but not a problem. Then came mi. 3-it was tough-mostly uphill. It was already working on me then I saw David Starrett with his camera taking pictures of me so I had to at least look good. I don't know how he did it but it seemed like everytime I hit a long straightaway David was there with his camera. It helped!
    The middle of the race was series of long hills both up and down but seemed mostly up. I was still right on pace time wise and the fact that I could see the runner that won my age group last race. He was ahead of me but I had it in my mind to catch him. I hit mile 9 thinking I had a chance of running negative splits but by the time I hit mile 11 wasn't going to happen. Miles 10 thru 11 were uphill and pace killers,  The good thing I knew David would be there for one last picture so I needed to at least look like I was running hard.
      The last part of the race I was just hanging on-I was pushing as hard as I could but I could see my competion just moving away from me. By mile 12 he was just a blur(well everything is just a blur to me right now but thats another story). I could only see the color of his singlet when I was at the top of a hill. Finally we turned into the Rose Garden area and guess what-yep-another hill, up the hill,turn the corner, one more hill, then downhill to the finish.
   The finish was great-in the middle of the Rose Garden-on grass and thru the chute. Over at last!  This is my second time to run the Tyler 1/2 and I think this course was tougher than last years if that's possible. Last years course had more twist and turns but I think that tended to break up the hills some. Doesn't matter it was tough.
    It may seem like I'm complaining about this course but I'm not! I like it-Heck when you get that finishers  medal you dang well deserve it, Besides the course is the same for everyone. I really feel like I ran as good as I could today and that's what it all about. I ran 5 min. faster tha I did on my last race and instead of finishing 6 min. out of 1st I was 44 sec. out to the same runner. All in all a very good birthday run and weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment