Friday, October 21, 2011

That was then, This is now!

    As I sit here wondering about where to hang my finishers medal rack and knowing I have to get another one, I think when did hanging these medals become important to me.Don't get me wrong I liked the medals but up until a certain time to me they were something extra you got after you ran the race. My main concern was my finishing time and my place(overall and age group). It is hard to write these thoughts without sounding egotistical but believe me I'm not.
      Even at Boston and New York I was more concerned with my finishing time than anything else. I had a goal and I wanted to reach it. I also was concerned where I finished and how I compared to other runners my age at some best races in the world. Needless to say I didn't compare as well as I would have liked to but to me that was more important than a finishers medal.
     When did the finishers medals become so important to me? Easy answer-after I had microfracture surgery on my knee and was told there was a possibility I might not run again. I beleived it and went as far as to buy a bike just in case it was true.I did get the go ahead to run but no promises on how much or for how long. This is why finishing each race now is special.
     My 1st race back was the Dallas White Rock 1/2 Marathon that I ran with Jessica. I can't describe the feeling I had when we crossed that finish line together. All of a sudden that finishers medal was the most important medal I had ever earned. I think it hit me right then that those finishers medals were a symbol of all the hard work and dedication I had put in preparing for each and every race.
    I have now found every finishers medal I have and will put them up on my new rack and will buy another one at the next expo.I guess it's true-You never know how much you will miss something until you don't have it anymore. Every finishers medal I earn now will go on the wall where it belongs because you never know which one will be your last. I received a 2nd chance(actually a 3rd chance but that's another story) and intend to take full advantage of it. I want as many finishers medals as I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment